Embracing Change

Keeping in theme with my last post, change is on my mind again. More specifically, clearing away the old to make room for the new.

There’s something so refreshing about cleaning out your closet, your bedroom, your whole house—like you’re making way for new possibilities, for who you want to be. After Christmas, I did a HUGE purge of my closet. I went on a huge shopping spree for things that really fit with my overall vision, and anything I owned that didn’t align with that vision was pulled from my closet. Sure, I ended up getting rid of previously loved items, but they were things I wasn’t going to love wearing in the future and which weren’t really serving me any longer. At a certain point, it becomes useless to hang on to stuff that doesn’t bring out your highest and best self.

It’s like that with everything, really. Right now, I feel so in tune with who I really am and what I’d really like to be doing with my life. I feel confident that the changes I’m making are for the best. Inevitably, there will be people and things who don’t get it or don’t want me to change. And I am okay with disappointing them. I’m doing what I feel is best for myself. I’m happy with my life.

I have an acquaintance who has become very into fitness in the last year or so. She’s worked hard and has completely transformed her body. She posts quite a bit on social media about this newfound love of hers, and I’m sure she has plenty of people who love the changes she’s made in her life. I’m sure this new lifestyle has enabled her to meet plenty of new people who also share that vision. At the same time, I’m certain there were old friends and acquaintances who decided, “Eh, not interested in this,” or, “I don’t think we really have anything in common anymore.”

Should she abandon these new passions of hers to satisfy people she used to be friends with? Should she water down or change the content she posts in order to appeal to those people? Absolutely not! If those people don’t care to be involved in her lifestyle or support her goals, they don’t really belong in her life at this point in time anyway. She’s moving on in life, transforming herself into the person she wants to be. Anyone who doesn’t wish to be part of that life is simply making room for new connections who do!

Sometimes you have to say “no” to the okay so you can say “yes” to the great! To me, changes in my current situation are just an indicator that there is PROGRESS! It’s all about quality for me, especially in my friendships. I want to be friends with people who share my interests!

The most inspiring people to me these days are those who are creative, positive, and eager to connect with others. I am so brand new to blogging, but through social media and this whole experience, I’m already being drawn to so many amazing people and it just feels so incredible to connect with people who genuinely inspire me.

If you’re reading this, say hi! Be my friend! And tell me all about your big goals for 2014.

love, elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. HI!! I'm so proud you! I'm already your friend, but thought I'd comment and be your friend here too. Love you, and am so excited to read your blog. You're the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Amy, YOU are the best! I love that you're on board with this dorky new hobby of mine! Can I convince you to start blogging with me?? Love you!

      Delete